Make your kids lunch boxes say WOW!!! Chicken pizza pockets are great. Your kids will NOT trade these lunches. What is better than a food that you can hold in your hand? Plus it is pizza and chicken all in one. These are really delicious made with fresh ingredients in your kitchen. The spicy sauce with chicken and cheese folded in a wheat pizza crust is perfect for dinner, lunches, picnics, or an any time portable snack. When my kids were young I would make a batch of these and then the kids could have a wholesome treat anytime. These chicken pizza pockets are even good cold out of the fridge for a late night munchie. Your kids will say, “I have such a cool mom” with these waiting in the fridge when they get home from school. And they will want to share chicken pizza pockets with their friends.
Prepare dough according to instructions. Roll out pizza dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut 3-4 inch circles with glass or biscuit cutter.
Place a scoop of filling in the center of dough.
Fold dough over filling to create a semi circle, pinch edges to seal in filing
Fresh chicken, fresh basil and shredded mozzarella are what you need to make your filling. Cook the chicken as shown below and shred it. Grate the mozzarella and slice the basil.
After cooking chicken shred it and add to basil and cheese in a food processor. Cook and prepare chicken as shown below.
Gently pulse items in a food processor. Just enough to combine do not over process or you will end up with chicken basil goo. Add a few tablespoons of the pizza sauce below to bind it all together.
These can be made in any shapes, half circles using one dough circle, or rounds using two circles and balls, seal the edges by pressing with a fork. For the balls the dough is pulled all the way over the filling and pinched to make a ball. Place seam side down. Whatever shape you choose they will be delicious. Bake 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until top turns slightly brown.
Homemade pizza sauce is so easy that you will never pay $5.00 for bottled sauce again. Simply combine 1 can of tomato sauce, add 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1 glove garlic. Cook over medium heat until it boils. Remove from heat and you are ready to go. All it cost was 30 cents and a few minutes of time.
To make fresh shredded chicken. Boil chicken in a shallow pan just until the meat turns white on the inside. About 10 minutes.
Using two forks pull the meat apart to create shreds. Pull to a medium fine texture.
- 1 chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon pizza sauce
- 1 cup water, (very warm, just barely too hot for comfort)
- 1 envelope (2¼ teaspoons) rapid-rise or instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pizza sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Dissolve yeast in water wait until it is foamy. Add oil to yeast.
- Add to flour, sugar, salt. Combine by hand until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Knead a few times on a floured surface. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Prepare filling:
- Combine shredded chicken, basil and mozzarella cheese.
- Pulse in food processor a few times to combine ingredients.
- Prepare sauce:
- Combine tomato sauce, spices and garlic in sauce pan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. when it starts to boil remove form heat.
- Add a 2 tablespoons of sauce to to chicken to bind it together.
- Roll out dough to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut dough in 3-4 inch circles with glass or biscuit cutter.
- Prepare [pockets:
- Place on circle on counter, place 1-2 tablespoon of filling in center.
- Pick up dough and using fingers press the edges together. Be sure to seal all the edges.
- Place pocket on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using fork crimp the edges to prevent leaking.
- To make full circles use two dough circles. Place 3-4 tablespoons of filling on one then pinch edges together and crimp with fork.
- For balls, place dough on one circle then pull the dough around the filling pinch dough together. Place sealed side down on cookies sheet.
- Bake 15 min in 400 Degree oven just until they turn brown.
- Serve with left over pizza sauce.
Olives and peppers can also be added to the filling.