Chicken salad is an all American sandwich spread and cracker topping found at nearly all lunch counters. For many however it is off limits because of the fat content in the mayonnaise. I have great news for you fat counting, health conscious people. Chicken salad sans mayo is a simple chicken salad, chuck full of fresh-diced vegetable and loaded with flavor, all held together with delicious creamy avocado. At first one would ask ,”Is it green?” Or, “Where is the avocado?” And finally, “Why doesn’t it taste like avocado?” The answer to all questions is, “It is delicious, try it”
Place shredded chicken in bowl then add the avocados (the secret of chicken salad sans mayo). Stir to combine. Add diced vegetables, sliced basil and Mrs Dash seasonings. Be sure to dice the vegetables small. My son uses a food chopper. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. The thing that makes this chicken salad great is that is it so full of crunchy vegetables. Every bite is an experience.
As soon as you taste this chicken salad sans mayo you will say it is wonderful. It is full of flavor and the crunchy vegetables that make your mouth say, “Yumm!” This is healthy all in one delicious bite.
But what do I do with it?
My son puts his on a bagel or English muffin then toasts it all under the broiler with cheese.
I put mine on a fresh bed of crispy romaine lettuce or eat it plain. It can also be served with crackers. Anyway you choose to eat it you will love it
- 1-2 soft avocados
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup diced purple onions
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced cucumbers
- ½ cup diced red peppers
- 4-6 basil leaves sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon Mrs Dash garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash tomato basil garlic seasoning
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Bagel halves
- Cut avocados in half remove pit. Scoop into a bowl with the chicken. Combine to mix completely.
- Add diced onions, celery, cucumbers, peppers and sliced basil and seasonings toss to mix thoroughly.
- To toast on bagels:
- Cut bagels in half, top with soft cheese, muenster and baby swiss works great.
- Place ½ -2/3 cup of chicken salad on cheese and press out to edges.
- Place under broiler for 1-2 minutes until top is slightly browned and cheese begins to melt.
- For croissants:
- Cut fresh croissant in half, top with ½ to ⅔ cup chicken salad press to edges. Top with thin slice of baby swiss cheese and Place with top of croissant.
- Lettuce bed”
- Soak romaine lettuce in ice bath for 30 minutes or overnight. Scoop ½-2/3 cup salad on top of crisp dried lettuce. Sprinkle with parmesan shreds.