This is a great cauliflower salad for family gatherings or just for everyday meals. It tastes best the day after it is made. It makes a really lunch with the leftovers as well. There are several versions found on the internet some with cheddar cheese, some with out parmesan and no onions. In my opinion this is the best broccoli and cauliflower salad, the mozzarella cheese does not overpower the broccoli. Some versions have sunflowers, nuts or craisins. Whatever family rendition you may have, the classic is always the best.
1 head broccoli, 1 head cauliflower, 1 cup regular mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 pound bacon cooked crumbled, 1 bunch green onions, 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Traditional vinegar is too overpowering for this salad.
Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and parmesan, let marinate in fridge while you prepare broccoli and cauliflower.
Cut up broccoli and cauliflower into bite size flowerettes, cut up onions and fry bacon.
If you slice the bacon before cooking, it is super easy to fry up, slice onions including tops. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon, and 2 tablespoons onions, add the rest of onions and bacon to broccoli/cauliflower.
Mix with broccoli, cauliflower, onions and bacon with mayonnaise mixture, spread in a 9 x 13 cake pan. Sprinkle top with mozzarella, reserved bacon and green onions. I like to put onions on top so people will know that there are onions in this salad (for those odd people who do not like onions).
Cool in fridge for at least one hour, served best cold.
Full fat mayonnaise works best, but lowfat can be used if desires.
The dressing will thin a bit ass it sits in the fridge this is normal.
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup regular mayonnaise
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ pound bacon cooked crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Combine, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and parmesan
- Let rest while you prepare vegetables
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower in bite size floweretes
- Slice bacon thinly and fry until crisp. Reserve 2 tablespoons
- Slice green onions, reserve 2 tablespoons
- Combine dressing with broccoli/cauliflower, bacon and onions, toss to combine
- Spread in 9×13 glass pan or similar
- Sprinkle with mozzarella, reserved bacon and green onions
- Chill 2 hours before servin