This is a really fun dessert to make and serve. It is always a crowd pleaser, I rarely have any to take home because it has been devoured especially by the kids. It can be served alone or with whipped topping. I have made it in a mold and filled the center with fresh berries it looked very elegant. This was my daughters favorite so I learned how to make it faster by putting it in the freezer to set. This way it only takes a couple of hours. If you have all day then let it set in the fridge. It is not a time consuming as it sounds. make a clear layer go do laundry, come back and do a cream layer go clean the bathroom. Continue this process until you have yummy jello. I usually set my kitchen timer for 15 minutes so I get distracted by my housework.
Last Christmas one of my nephews said why do we have to have this every time we get together can’t we have something else. His mom’s reply well we only get together for special occasions so that is why we serve it because it is a special treat. “It’s not a treat for me” was his reply. I guess next gathering I will have to make another type of jello. Overall nobody complains.
My favorite flavors are raspberry, grape, blueberry, lime, lemon, orange. We used Greek yogurt when we made it this time. If you use sugar free jello them you have a low fat low sugar salad. Either way it is quite flavorful. I have also done this with green and red and it is very festive.
Stir 1 cup boiling water into 1 pkg. gelatin in small bowl until completely dissolved. Divide gelatin in two containers in one add 2 tablespoons of water to equal 1 cup, pour into glass 9×13 pan or mold sprayed with cooking spray. Refrigerate about 20 minutes or until set but not firm (gelatin should stick to finger when touched). To remaining gelatin add in 3 Tbsp. of the sour cream, stir to thoroughly combine . Spoon over gelatin in pan. Refrigerate about 15 minutes. Repeat process with each remaining gelatin flavor. Refrigerate gelatin as directed to create a total of 12 layers alternating clear and creamy gelatin layers.
Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Cut in squares if desired or for fun use cookie cutters for fun shapes. If you used a mold, remove from mold by setting mold in warm water for a few minutes, invert on plate.
- 7 (3 ounce) packages assorted fruit flavored Jell-O(R) mix
- ½ pint sour cream or plain yogurt
- Boil water measure 1 cup
- Add 1 pkg. gelatin in small bowl.
- Stir until dissolved
- Pour ½ of the dissolved gelatin plus 2 table spoon water, into glass 9×13 pan or mold sprayed with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate about 20 minutes or until set but not firm (gelatin should stick to finger when touched).
- To other ½ of jello add 3 Tbsp. of the sour cream. Stir until well blended I usually whisk it. Spoon over set gelatin in pan. Refrigerate about 20 minutes.
- At this point I put pan in freezer and it helps to set this up much faster. Do not let it actually freeze though or the layers won’t stick together.
- Repeat process with each remaining gelatin flavor.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Remove from mold if necessary but setting in warm water for a minute to soften edges. Invert on plate.
- Serve and wait for the Wow’s
This can be done while you do chores in the house. Make a layer go fold laundry, make a layer clean the bathroom and so on.
The last few layers cool quite fast since the base is already cold.
This is really fun to make and serve