Baked French toast with a praline topping. This is so irresistible especially topped with either maple syrup or a fruit syrup. With the crunchy praline topping and the moist eggy bread this is a must for any special breakfast or brunch. When prepared the night before and baked just before serving it makes a easy fast breakfast.
Slice french bread in 1 inch slices, place about 10 slices in two bread pan, not too tightly, leave some space between for expansion during cooking
Combine eggs and spices with half and half, pour over sliced bread
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night
In the morning prepare the topping, combine and mix until smooth
Cover the bread with the praline topping, spread out smooth, Bake covered with tin foil
Remove from oven let rest 10 minutes before serving, top with maple or fruit syrup
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Maple syrup
- Praline topping
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each.
- Arrange slices in 2 buttered bread pans.
- Combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all slices are covered with the egg mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare Praline Topping:
- Combine butter, brown sugar, pecans, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg bowl and blend well.
- Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden.
- Serve warm with maple or fruit syrup syrup.