I make these for large family gatherings. These are so light and they melt in your mouth. I make the dough the night before and shape the rolls, 2 hours before dinner and have hot rolls just in time for dinner. The dough will look like snot when you put it in the fridge but trust me you will have perfect dough in the morning.
Cut shortening in 6-8 pieces. Scald milk, pour over shortening, stir until melted . Dissolve yeast in water set aside. To shortening add salt, sugar, eggs mix by hand until blended. Add 2 cups flour and combine well. Add yeast mix, stir thoroughly. Add more flour, mix well. Add cold water and flour. Stir until well blended.
At this point it will look like snot. Do not be tempted to add more flour, leave it as it is. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
When you take out of fridge it will be ready to form. Remove from fridge two hours before meal and shape as desires. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salad seasoning or other desired toppings. Let rise 45 min-1 hour. Bake 18 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 2 pkg. regular yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 2 cup measuring cup of ice
- 5 cup flour
- Scald milk set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Mix salt, sugar, shortening and milk in mixer until shortening is melted.
- Add 2 cups flour and combine well, add eggs mix well.
- Add milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Add remaining flour, stir until smooth.
- It will look like snot at this point that is ok.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from fridge two hours before meal and shape as desires.
- Let rise 1 hour. Bake 18 minutes at 350 degrees.