I was first introduced to this recipe in the early 90’s. I had it once and I was addicted. The delicate crust with the spicy pumpkin filling leaves you longing for more. I could make one of these every week in fall. Topped with fresh cream and warm from the oven. This melts in your mouth.
Combine cake mix and cold butter slices, mix until butter is combined throughout. Do not mix until it is a thick paste, it should still be crumbly. Add beaten egg, mix until a course crumble is created. Remove 1 cup of this mixture.
Prepare pumpkin filling. Combine pumpkin, sugar, eggs, flour, spice, salt. Mix well.
Press crust into 9 X 13 baking pan, pour pumpkin mix over top. Spread to edges.
Sprinkle remaining crust on top of pumpkin. Bake 350° for 45-50 minutes until top is golden brown. Let cool 15 minutes before cutting. It is great served both warm and cold with a dollop of whipped cream and ice cream.
- 1 package yellow cake mix UNPREPARED
- ½ cup cold butter cut in 1 tablespoon sliced
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (NOT pie mix)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix with melted butter and 1 egg and mix until well blended.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture.
- Press mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, milk, 2 eggs, vanilla, salt and pumpkin pie spice, mix well.
- Pour this mixture over crust mixture in baking dish.
- Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over pumpkin mixture.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden.