Is there anything more American than Chili? We excel at chili, there are chili cook-offs throughout the states and beyond. Chili starts with beans and tomatoes. Whatever you add after that makes it your own.
Step one: Cook beans follow this link on how to cook your own beans. The pressure cooker is my preferred method. Cheap and easy. Cooking Beans
Step three: In crock pot add tomatoes, onions, seasonings. Simmer in crock pot on low 6-8 hours. You can make this as hot as you like by adding more crushed red peppers, cayenne and minced hot peppers. I’m a wimp.
Step four: Enjoy
I always used venison to make my chili. This prevented me from actually having to eat the venison. My source of game has dried up so beef works well too. Any wild meat works great. Hamburger is ok but real meat is better.
Serving suggestions: Top with grated cheese and onions, hot pepper sauce, chili hot dogs, Navajo tacos, chili French fries, in a bread bowl, or cornbread.
- 6-8 cups cooked pinto beans
- 3 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds of lean stew meat
- Cook beans. Pour in crock pot
- Add tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasonings. Add more crushed pepper to make it hotter.
- Cook diced meat in fry pan on high heat with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Just until edges are browned.
- Simmer in crock pot on low all day.
- To make hotter add minced hot peppers.
- Serve with scones, corn chips, grated cheese and diced onions, any favorite topping.
- Other Chili recipesCampfire chili. This is served to a freezing crowd after walking through three feet of snow, while hunting for fresh Christmas trees. While the crowd is gone looking for their tree. Dump the chili in the fire. Then realize there is not any other food to serve. Scoop the chili out of the ashes. Remove any wood pieces, large charcoal chunks and pine needles. Put this back in the Dutch oven and over the fire. NEVER REVEAL THIS SECRET RECIPE. My family has raved about my wonderful chili for years since this happened.
3 day chili made with garden fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions.