As a child the phrase meatloaf is for dinner sent me into a tantrum. I hated meatloaf it was dry, and tasteless with the texture of a brick. (Sorry mom). As an adult I never made it, until I found this recipe. It is tender, moist and has a tangy sauce.
In mixer combine low fat hamburger, chopped onions and peppers. Add crushed townhouse crackers (must be townhouse). Mix in 2 eggs and seasonings. Mix until well blended
Form and put in bread pan or meatloaf pan which is wonderful for draining of fat.
Combine ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Baste meatloaf with half of the sauce. Put in oven and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Baste with remaining sauce after 45minutes, continue baking. Drain any excess juice at this point to prevent boiled meatloaf.
Test with meat thermometer to reach 160 degrees internal temperature.
Let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ tube of townhouse crackers crushed fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ green peppers chopped fine
- ½ cup onion chopped fine
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- Combine hamburger, seasonings and eggs, mix until well combined.
- Add cracker crumbs and vegetables. Combine thoroughly.
- Form in loaf and put in loaf pan.
- Combine sauce ingredients and baste ½ on top of meatloaf.
- Bake at 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Drain off any excess liquid that has accumulated.
- Baste remaining sauce on meatloaf.
- Bake for 15 minutes more
- Using meat thermometer cook to temperature of 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat let rest 10 minutes before cutting.