My nephew calls this “hat soup”. This is so easy and delicious all at the same time.
1 pound package of fresh prepared tortellini, can be found in the deli or fresh pasta section
Saute onions and garlic with olive oil. Put in crock pot, add tomatoes, broth, half and half, and basil leaves. Simmer 6 to 8 hours on low Test soup for desired saltiness.
One hour before serving pour in tortellini. If you add tortellini at the beginning they suck up all the liquid.
Check several times while cooking, stir as needed.
Note: If soup gets too thick add some water to thin it down. Check for thickness frequently.
This can also be done over low on the stove top.
For creamy tomato basil soup leave out the tortellini.
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese and sliced thyme can be added to top as a garnish
- 1 pound package of fresh prepared tortellini
- 1 medium purple onion diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Olive oil
- 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 quart half and half
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Put in crock pot, add remaining ingredients minus tortellini.
- Simmer 6-8 hours on low. Test soup for desired saltiness.
- One hour prior to serving, add tortellini. If you add tortellini at the beginning they suck up all the liquid.
- Check several times while cooking, stir. If it gets too thick add some water to desired thickness.
- This can also be done over low on the stove top or in a crock pot. Check for thickness frequently.
If you want you can leave out the tortellini for Tomato Basil soup.
*As with all soups you can hurry this on the stove top and cook it in an hour and it will be edible. If you take the time a cook it in the slow cooker all day it will taste heavenly.