On a cold day nothing warms you up like a bowl of loaded baked potato soup. I bake extra potatoes so I can have soup later.
The ingredients used in loaded baked potato soup are very basic and readily on hand. Just like loaded baked potatoes it is very satisfying.
Dice potatoes and onions. Cut bacon in small pieces, cook part way then add onions. Saute until onions are opaque, add garlic. Stir a few more minute until bacon is fully cooked.
Add potatoes, simmer on low for several hours. Stir occasionally. Do not over heat to prevent scorching. Remove from heat, let rest 10 minutes. Slowly add cheese, stir until well blended. Put back on low heat to warm up if needed. This can be done in a crock pot if desired. This soup tastes delicious in a bread bowl.
*Slowly adding cheese to cooled down soup will prevent the cheese from curdling. Stirring as you add the cheese is essential as well.
Keeping the heat on low is important to keep the soup from scorching.
*Half and half can also be used.
- 3-4 baked cold baked potatoes cut in cubes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- ½ pound of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 cans evaporated milk
- 1 cups cheddar cheese or Colby jack
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Cut the bacon into small pieces, cook partially, then add onions.
- Stir until onions turn opaque. Add garlic stir a few minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium low. Add milk then potatoes.
- Simmer on low for several hours, stirring occasionally. Can be done in a crock pot.
- Just before serving remove from heat let rest ten minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese in stirring as you add a little bit at a time. If you add the cheese while the soup is still hot the cheese will curdle and the soup will be grainy and lumpy.
- Continue stirring until all cheese is mixed in.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Thin if needed with some water.
- Rewarm on low heat if needed.