- 2 heads of broccoli cut the flowerettes off the stem
- 1 cup diced onions
- Olive oil
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 quart half and half or evaporated milk
- 2 cups cheddar or Colby jack
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Make a roux: In large skillet melt the butter, when it is bubbly add the flour stir rapidly until it forms a thick bubbly paste. Add the half and half, mix until creamy and thick. I like to use my hand held blender (Braun) to get out all the clumps see picture below. Turn heat down to low.
- Add broccoli, onions, paprika, nutmeg and salt. Simmer on low for 1 hour. Or in crock pot for several hours. Just before serving remove from heat let set ten minutes. Sprinkle cheese in stirring as you add a little bit at a time. If you add the cheese while the soup is still hot the cheese will curdle and the soup will be grainy and lumpy. Continue stirring until all cheese is mixed in. You can put back on heat on low if you want to get it back to piping hot. Thin if needed with some water. Taste for saltiness. The cheese will make it more salty.
Tip: you can also use any other vegetables to make a thick cheddar soup. Carrots, potatoes, cauliflower. Cooked crumbled bacon can also be added. Add 2 cloves minced garlic for these vegetables.